We had a lot of apples laying around this week. Did you see our post on Apple Pie Roll-ups?
They had a teacher appreciation breakfast for my middle child’s teachers at school, so I baked them up a few delicious treats! They deserve all the sweetness that they want after having to deal with some not-so-great mornings with my extremely head-strong-and-independent 4 year old.
These apple cinnamon rolls are calling my name as the perfect addition to my morning pot of coffee today. <3
Cinnamon Apple Ingredients:
3 Full-size Apples: Cored, peeled, and sliced into bite-size pieces
2 Tbsp. Flour
1/2 Cup of Sugar
1 tsp. Lemon juice
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Cinnamon
* Mix the ingredients for the cinnamon apples in a large bowl and set them to the side. *
Homemade Cinnamon Roll Ingredients:
1 Cup Warm 2% Organic Milk
1 Tbsp. Instant Dry Yeast
2 Tbsp. Granulated Sugar
1 Tsp. Salt
3 Tbsp. Salted Butter, Room temperature
1 Large Egg
3 Cups All-purpose Flour
Cinnamon Bun Filling Ingredients:
1/2 Cup Salted Butter, Room temperature
1 Cup Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp. Cinnamon
- In a large bowl, mix the yeast with the warmed milk and allow it to start to bubble or “wake up” the yeast for about 5 minutes.
- Add the sugar, salt, butter, and egg to the yeast/milk mixture.
- Slowly incorporate the flour into the mixture using a low-speed hand mixer.
- Place the dough to the side and cover with a damp towel, allow to rise for up to one hour.
- After an hour, roll out the dough into a rectangle approximately 12 x 18 inches. Move the dough to a parchment lined baking tray.
- Brush the dough with 1/2 cup of salted butter from the filling ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, mix the brown sugar and cinnamon together. Sprinkle the cinnamon-sugar evenly across the dough.
- Cut the dough into 12 long 1-inch slices. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Place a handful of apple pieces onto one end of a dough strip. Roll the dough strips around the apple pieces. You can also add pieces of apple to the top of the apple cinnamon buns if you have leftovers.
Recipe Yields 12 Apple Cinnamon Buns
While cooking, prepare your glaze in a large mixing bowl. Cook the cinnamon rolls until lightly golden brown, about 15-20 minutes. Allow a few minutes to cool and top with the glaze. Have a fantastic morning!
1 Cup Powdered Sugar
1 Tsp. Vanilla extract
2-3 Tbsp. 2% Organic Milk (May need more for proper glaze consistency.)
Looking for some great new baking trays? Try this great find from amazon!! This set of 3- Oven Lovin’ Baking Trays are available by Rachael Ray for $29.99.