Homemade Angel Food Cake & Whipped Cream
1 Cup Cake flour
1/2 Tsp. Salt
12 Large Egg Whites, Room Temperature
1 Tsp. Cream of Tartar
1 1/4 Cups of Granulated Sugar
2 Tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract
Whipped Cream Ingredients:
1 Cup Heavy Cream
1 Tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract
1 Tbsp. Confectioners’ Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix flour and salt in a bowl.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites together with an electric mixer until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and beat until soft peaks form. Slowly integrate the sugar until stiff peaks form – about 2 minutes. Add vanilla, beat to combine. **You will know that the consistency is correct if you rub a bit of the foamy, fluffy batter between your fingers. The batter should feel smooth, not gritty. A gritty feeling means that you have not dissolved the sugar completely.**
- Slowly add the flour into the egg-white mixture. Use a rubber spatula to fold in the mixture by cutting down the center and coming up the sides.
- Gently add the batter into an un-greased bunt pan.
- Cut a knife through the batter to release air bubbles.
- Bake 30-40 minutes until the cake is golden and springs back when pressed.
- Invert the pan, allow to cool upside-down for 1 hour.
- Run a knife around the edges of the cake to release it from the pan.
While cooking… combine the heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla to make your whipped cream, 1-2 minutes.
Some MUST HAVE tools for baking Angel Food Cake: